So for a “young’un” I am pretty useless at blogging. It has been over a month since Malvern and now seems like a distant dream. The rest of the build went pretty smoothly and I can not thank all who helped enough.
The garden won an RHS Silver Medal which I was over the moon with and the icing on the cake is it also managed to raise over £880 for Marie Curie.
“She’s mad!!” I hear you cry…and you could be right, but that’s neither here nor there.
The RHS Malvern build has kicked off brilliantly and we are now reaching the end of week 2 of construction. There have been highs and lows and ‘tearing your hair out moments’ just as my fabulous mentor Caroline Tatham said there would be. It has been an amazing experience though and I feel so honoured to be undertaking the build in support of Marie Curie Cancer Care because life is the most precious thing there ever was and you must grasp it and squeeze every last drop out of it.
“So what’s this building a show garden in 9 days business then if you’ve had 2 weeks already?”. Believe me, I wish I could be at the build every day but unfortunately I still have to pay my rent and neither of my part time jobs were about to allow me to take a month off…that’s just unheard of in retail!
Now admittedly I may be jumping the gun as I’ve still potentially 3-4 days of the build left and it could all go tits up but we won’t dwell on that… mainly because I’m too laid back to know how to! Anyway, join me as I run through my 9 day build and watch Let’s Get You Home in support of Marie Curie Cancer Care, designed by me, appear before your very eyes!
Here we are, 7 weeks…8 weeks…9…a number of weeks into the course with just over 2 weeks now until Project 1 comes to an end!
I have learnt so much in such a short period. It has not been smooth sailing to say the least. Then again it oh so rarely is with my cloudy mind of doubts and panics.
Today has been a good day. (It was also a pyjama day.)
Project 1 is a typical rectangular(ish) terrace house back garden. The client, who loves her roses and wildlife, felt the garden was too straight.
After the site visit and reading through the clients brief I put together a mood board.
The next stage, after creating a scale drawing of the garden, was to create a design. After throwing many shapes around the space and not making life easy for myself, I managed to come up with something I am really please with.
The next step is now the most crucial to get right of all. The planting scheme! Teaching hasn’t quite taken us that far yet but I’ve ideas bouncing around and I hope to whizz up a couple of watercolour designs in the next day or so.
The past 2 weeks I have given up my single day off a week to help out with the Feature Show Garden designed by my mentor Caroline Tatham, Principle of The Cotswold Gardening School, for The Malvern Autumn Show and Cheltenham Literature Festival. I have only very minorly been able to get involved but it is always an invaluable insight into the life of a show garden, particularly as I plan on submitting my first design to the RHS Malvern Spring Festival: Festival Gardens 2015 category.
The garden dismantled in Malvern.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make the Autumn Show to see the garden in it’s prime with celebrity gardeners presenting on it.
The garden being loaded into the lorry at Malvern.
The lorry arriving in imperial square in Cheltenham.
The plants safely stacked on danish trolleys hiding at the front of the lorry.
All the plants unloaded and more or less ordered in varieties.
The jigsaw puzzle ready to be reassembled.
We were very lucky with the weather on transportation day. Unfortunately the weather has turned this week. Unnervingly this was a tree down the street from the garden which I had walked under a few hours before it gave way.
Despite the weather the garden was just about standing strong.